Wednesday, February 27, 2019

Overhauling a Vintage item

We have a conversation starter at home now.  A rare one at it. Its right there on the coffee table as a center piece and none misses it. I take every opportunity to tell anyone who is willing to listen, or otherwise, about how it came to be.

During our recent trip to J’s tharavad in a pristine village called Vellarvally, Kerala, J chanced upon some household items that he had seen and used as a child, stashed away  in a storeroom, where they keep all and sundry. 

Overcome by nostalgia or whatever the emotion was, he brought some of them to Chennai. I was surprised and a bit annoyed, initially,  at the junk,  that found way to our home, simply to add to the clutter. Looking at it, I thought it was made of iron, but J disagreed vehemently. But then a sudden brainwave asked me why not get it polished and use it as a show-piece at home. 

I am going to be done with the suspense of what it is and here is a picture of what J brought home which I thought was a piece of trash.


Cut to the chase, the Vintage Iron box, after an extensive lacquer polishing, looks like this now.  Yep.   



Doesn’t it look as if it is just out of Jeweler's shop rather than from an attic? Apparently, it is made of brass as J kept saying.

Joe’s brother-in-law who recently visited us could not believe it was the same coal iron box he must have seen at the tharavad many years ago.


As though I have given it a new lease of life, which otherwise would never have seen the light of a day. Every astonished look makes me feel proud about salvaging junk (at least what I thought it was) into a piece of treasure.

6 comments:

  1. This is very special. In the last couple of posts you have been covering the art of gifting. But there is an even more rare, difficult and heart warming skill.

    It is that of taking something that is special to somebody else, but not special to you and then making it even more special to that person. That is something I have not seen before. I bow to you milady - I am absolutely sure J has been completely bowled over and is proudly hogging the conversation that has been started to sing your praises !

    What you have done is truly a priceless gesture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How can you think so positively in all your perspectives Ramesh?

      Infact, I was telling J that this Ironbox would have seen my father-in-law, whom i have not had the privilege to meet. he passed away when J was 6 and so, i got to treat that one respectfully. Everytime someone mentions it, i can see his pride for me. :-)

      Delete
  2. voww!! what is with you Vincy the Vintage lady, you are vinning my heart :)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought i have done it a few years back when i met you in person :-) :-) :-)

      may be winning you all over again.

      I see the V all over. :-)

      Delete
  3. Sthree kai patta isthree pettiyum vaazhum

    ReplyDelete
  4. ROFLMAO

    :-) :-)

    Gilsu your pun-sense is out of the world.

    ReplyDelete

Would love to hear from you, my blog readers!!! Comments, muaah's, likes and opinions accepted. :-) :-)