Wednesday, February 13, 2019

Dubai Diaries


Joe and I have been married for 24 years 14 days and 8 hours ( give or take ), as of today.

The year was 1995, January 30th, and it happens to be Martyrs day. 

Celebrating Anniversaries ( whatever they maybe) helps us to get back from the daily grind, look back and relive some of the past. Wish I had started a tradition of some kind, which we had followed religiously over these 24 years, but since I haven’t, every year it has been different.

But I do take some effort in surprising J with some strange, but unique gifts and most times I have caught him off-guard.

The ones that I could recollect now are a set of tablas,  he knows classical music and played the tabla in his younger days. First time visitors to our house, usually notice it and J feels, I take the trouble of finding unique gifts as a means of fishing for compliments.  One of the years it was a Bosch toolkit, which he hugged around and kept looking at, romantically, for atleast a couple of days.  Even today, he refuses to let anyone else handle it.  😊

The ground work for a gift is usually done much ahead, the cues picked up from unexpected conversations and its feels good to astonish him once in a while. One of the years I got him a rosary made of Rudhraksha seeds which is a topic of conversation in many of our family parties, as he wears them on grand occasions.

As we advance into the marriage, it’s really difficult to keep up the standard of surprises, as you run out of choices.  There’s no way out other than growing up into the armor that you have created.

He does try his part too, given the fact that surprising a woman is not as easy as it is for me.

This year, it was him who came up with a proposal of holidaying in Dubai, and asked me to work out the schedule, which I did.  I had plans for the anniversary and kept it a secret till the last week.

And guess what?  I booked a Helicopter ride around Dubai.  He was thrilled to bits.     

Dubai Police Academy, with whom we were booked, had elaborate and stringent procedures – being at the venue an hour in advance, security checks at multiple points, a session on how to embark and disembark, stuff that you can carry and what you cannot, what you can and cant touch , ID cards, earphones, security check again, someone to put on the complex seat belts, life jackets, etc., etc.,. 

And until we get on the heli, we would never know the seating arrangements as the seating is based on the weight of individual passengers and they would distribute us accordingly  to balance out the weight. 

While we were clicking away pictures, amidst the rhythmic wop – wop sound of helicopters that was landing and taking off, I was praying with a smile, that J gets to sit in front along with the Pilot.   Paired  with us were an Arab couple, the man heavily set and almost burly and a petite wife. 

My prayers were answered, J got to sit with the Pilot and had a beaming smile.  

I sat smugly next to the Arab guy, knowing I managed to surprise Joe, yet again.

P.S : I have been telling Joe, I wanted a picture with an Arab guy and you see, my wish was fulfilled too.
Joe getting strapped - and that's how beaming that he can get.

That's a snapshot of us - 24th year together.

12 comments:

  1. Beautiful..beautiful... I loved this post and the fact that you got married on Martyrs day ;)
    It was thoughtful of him to have booked you away from the daily routine of life, more love and togetherness to you guys.. you totally totally deserve it my darling..

    Belated happy wedding anniversary to u
    Take care and stay blessed and loved...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is with very few people that i feel a connect that transcends boundaries. You are definitely special that way and you make me bare it all with you, I dont have to wear a diplomatic armor when i am with you. Love to you for being you and thank you so much.

      Delete
  2. 24 years and counting... .Woowwww idhukkay poster adikanum. Gangarujilations

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gilsu Thanks much.

      As a blogger i am greedy for comments, good bad, ugly whatever they are and today is one day, where I felt so happy seeing all your comments. Me the happy.

      more happy than staying married with this guy for 24 years :-) :-) :-)

      Delete
  3. There is a complete art to choosing and giving a "gift". Very few people manage to do it well. Because, as the cliche goes, its the thought and never the item, that counts.

    Very clearly you are one of the few who can do it well. That speaks volumes of you. For to be in that elite group, you have to really care for the other, you need to be sensitive to what would really be cherished, take the trouble to find it and make it perfect and then deliver it with an understated elegance. Bravo Vincy.

    J is a lucky man.

    Happy anniversary 16 days late. Late, but hopefully, its the thought that counts !!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anniversary wishes from you - Priceless! Thanks much for all the love and thoughtfulness.

    Very few souls can make someone feel so good in their own eyes. You are one such person and the blog world and mine is better off with your presence.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Belated Anniversary wishes first of all to you and Joe. 30th Jan is my wedding anniversary too. :) Surprising men is not easy and I tootoo k trying it. I took hints from your this blog now to surprise Khaleef :). That was a lovely pic and I appreciate your touch of luck with Arab guy :)) . I could connect all this bcos I Khaleef to get the front seat to pair up with the driver during desert Safari and it so happened. After reading this I just felt "Yes , Life is Beautiful". Thanks for the wonderful write-up Vinci. Wish you and Joe with loads of fun !!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Vinci, Belated wedding anniversary wishes first of all to you and Joe. I shud day thanks for this wonderful post for I could connect to every bit of it. Surprising men is not easy though and you have really won it which shows your love for him. I have been trying this and I could collect great hints from here. The helicopter ride I think is your best!! I could connect this too because I wished Khaleef gets the front seat paired with Driver so that he can enjoy it well and fortunately it happened the same way. Above all your touch of luck for the photo with the Arab guy was brilliant !!! Wish you write more blogs Vinci..Wish you and Joe more fun and peace in life. Thanks !!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It was during our desert Safari in Dubai...missed to mention !!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Vinci, Belated wedding anniversary wishes first of all to you and Joe. I shud say thanks for this wonderful post for I could connect to every bit of it. Surprising men is not easy and you have really won all of it which keenly shows your love for Joe. I have been trying this and I could collect good hints from this post. By the way your helicopter ride is simply the best :)) !!! I could connect this too because during our desert Safari I wished Khaleef gets the front seat paired with Driver so that he can enjoy it well and fortunately it happened the same way.


    Above all your touch of luck for the photo with the Arab guy was brilliant !!! Reading this post makes say "WowW Yes Life is really so Beautiful. Beautiful in other's smile!!! :)) Wish you write more blogs Vinci :)..Wish you and Joe more fun and peace in life. Thanks !!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Soo cute! 24 years is a very long time and keeping this element of surprise alive is extremely difficult. This really makes say "couple goals" 😍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 24 years is close to quarter century and yes quite a long time. Thank you Zarna for coming over and reading me and elaving comments. means a lot.

      Delete

Would love to hear from you, my blog readers!!! Comments, muaah's, likes and opinions accepted. :-) :-)