Saturday, April 04, 2020

Hand made, Afresh!!!

This project started almost 6 months back and have been dragging my feet on it, not just because I am a lazy bum, but also due to the complexities involved in the project itself.

The lock down period seemed the best time to complete it, when the gentle push from J almost became a shove and he started asking me if I am going to work on it, or if he should re purpose the base for something else, less significant.

A name board for the house has been a cherished dream since we moved in. While the house was under construction, there were too many inevitable stuff that took our attention away and my murmur about a name board fell on deaf years. In fact, after a few years I almost forgot about it, until recently during a trip to J’s tharavad (ancestral home in Malayalam) in Thalassery, I saw a large name board made of a cross section of teak wood with golden brass letters on it. Most houses in Kerala are palatial and this name board looked imposing at the entrance. The piece of wood was itself around 3 feet. 

The cross section  of wood on top
 is the base 

And this desire for a name board for our house was rekindled and since its been a long wait, I wanted to do it as an DIY project. J wasn’t very impressed with my idea, since he thought I wanted similar one that we saw in Kerala. A bit of explaining and he sourced a really small cross section of teak wood from his place. 



The ready made carved out alphabets available online and in the market did not match my expectations. Either these alphabets were too flowery and grandiose, or bore an austere look. Joe also checked around with some timber merchants for carving alphabets and their samples didn’t appeal either. That’s when I decided, I will carve out the alphabets myself. Yep.

The Balsa wood sheet


I was particular it has to be a wood carving, ( for no specific reason, though). I scouted around for a while until I laid my hands on a sheet of Balsa wood, 3 mm thick, from an hobby products’ shop with a fancy name, called itsy bitsy. This is the same place where I picked up my shiny gratitude journal too.


Contrary to what I had imagined, carving out the alphabets wasn’t that easy. First off, while cutting out the alphabets from a stencil I created on the sheet, the wood would chip off into tiny pieces, almost in the finishing stages. There was rarely an alphabet that I carved out which came in a single piece. So after each carving, I had to use every glue I had at hand – fevibond, feviquik and in some cases even the fabric glue and the most humble fevicol.

@ close look, each alphabet
is a collection of multiple pieces
The carved out alphabets now looked as though a kinder-gartener broke it up using bare hands. I was thoroughly disappointed and wanted to even abandon the project. J not hiding his disappointment about the look of the alphabets didn’t help. Anyways, since I had put in considerable amount of time in this by now, didn’t want to back out. 

Meanwhile, J was working on the base. He had even ordered a grinding machine by Bosch and it reached us just before the lock down. The base was ground smooth along with the sides and a coat of varnish applied to make it look shiny and this process was repeated 5 times as the varnish was being sucked in by the base. At the end of the process J gave me a shiny base, with the grains of the teak visible. Now I had the pressure of making sure the alphabets matched the gloss of  base.

The finished base from J, 
the grains visible.
I set to work on the alphabets which still looked pathetic with all the glue on it, unfinished edges and varied colors because of the different glues applied thoughtlessly.

I used the available filers to smoothen out the rough edges, like sand paper from J’s tool kit, my nail file from the pedicure kit, and finally even took the help of the menial blade. 

Alphabets after some filling, 
filing and a coat of paint.
still not all that great










The carved out alphabets were pretty fragile, so had to be really slow and gentle handling them with these amateurish tools. Also needed a lot of light and was pretty painful bending over these and finishing them up. Sure enough they definitely tested my patience. Yet, the rich creamy color of balsa wood was patchy and had to paint them white.

And then it all came together and finally this is how the name board looks like  – fruit of hard labor.
The name board done 

The joy of ideating, creating and looking at your own handicraft – ineffable tour de force.  Here's how it looks at our entrance.


So what if it took 15 years for us to put up a name board for our home ?

12 comments:

  1. Very nice. It looks classy . And when much labour has gone into it, it glows and shines in a way which is special, isn't it ?

    The lockdown is making you very creative. You are blogging a lot more, you are taking care of all your "babies", you are DIY,.... Whatever next ?

    This version of you is a tad nicer than the corporate one. Perhaps when the lockdown is over (?), you should consider migrating full time to this world :):)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The lock down has been a blessing in disguise, though I really miss the drive to office, the dressing up for work and meeting friends and colleagues at work. I wouldn't want to let go of it for a while.

    What I realise is, I need to spend more time on stuff that would give simple happiness and cheer to everyone around. a bit more of organising my time would help. definitely.

    And thank you that was the quickest comment i have received. I am so glad you think its classy. smiling upto my ear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is classy Vincy. I was expecting this, as in your last post you had hinted on a DIY. Moreover you had shared with me earlier in office about this wish and I too had sent some links for the alphabets ...😀
    The name plate is glistening.So apt for your beautiful house that is filled with personal touches. I liked it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh.. yes. I did check those links for readymade alphabets and changed my mind after having a look at them.

      Taking a bow, since the diva has liked it.

      Delete
  4. Semma professional... Lockdown timela Reskilling?!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think its a good idea to reskill now. This may be the only way forward, hence forth.

      BTW, thanks for your compliment. just a single word from you, but means a lot.

      Delete
  5. Wow !! That’s impressive !! Next project is a name board for me ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. definitley for you - another six months?

      But before that we have to get that magnet board for your hideout done.

      Delete
  6. Chechi..that's a wonderfully welcoming font and piece of work! Great team work! "It takes many years to become an overnight success"....I see you getting there in this blog and in all the work you do! Loved the candid language :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhhh, feels so good that you came here to read me. and whats more you left a comment too.

      Been here for a while, filling up the voids in the best possible ways.

      Do read my other posts and leave more comments. :-):-)

      Delete
  7. Hey Vincy.. I think you are giving Preeti shenoy a run for her money, with all the multi tasking you are doing.. now you have to just roll out those novels and rest is all done.. :) I am sure one day you will be doing that as well.
    Love you and your labour of love

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah what a comparison Rekha. I am honoured. (glad Preeti is not listening to this!!!) she is a role model and a wonder woman. aspire to be like her.

      I am glad you loved this piece of work.

      Delete

Would love to hear from you, my blog readers!!! Comments, muaah's, likes and opinions accepted. :-) :-)