Tuesday, April 07, 2020

Book Review - 24 hours by Greg Iles


Gils, my blog friend is the inspiration behind this book review.  Having seen him do at least a dozen or more reviews every year, on his blog, wanted to give it a try.  Never have I done it before, and wanted to begin small and write about this novel, 24 hours by Greg Iles.

The read itself was special as this was one of the books I carried along for our laid back Maldives trip. Especially during this lock down, the trip itself looks like a distant dream. I gorged on this book, like how I used to when I was in college. Chanced upon it from Dennu’s collection having confidence in his choice of books.  And I wasn’t wrong.  He wasn’t happy that I rummaged through his clutter in his room and took it without asking him.   He calls it stealing, but I am his mom and how can that be even called that?

My first book from this author, it’s a suspense thriller, and Iles does not waste anytime, and sets the mood right from the first chapter.  The story, which is about kidnapping keeps you engrossed by the well laid out suspense and there are many moments where the author keeps you on tenterhooks.  The plot is tight and pace right, keeping an capricious reader like me hooked on.   The ease with which I could slip into reading, should give you an idea about how thrilling the story was. 

Iles is so good that the kidnap and violence that comes along with the story is so believable that he is able to create an imagery in the readers mind. Towards the end of the book, there is an aircraft chase, which plays out in your head almost like a movie.  The characters of the story are intelligent including the kidnappers.  A six year old from the Jennings family is kidnapped and the parents are kept  in two different locations.  Accompanied by one kidnapper each, the kidnapped child is with another character.  How the parents foil the attempt and do they get the child back is the crux of the story.

It’s a blasphemy that I simplified the intricate plot into few lines, as the story sent my heart racing during the read.  And mind you, I was in the most peaceful place on earth with no interruptions around, the blue sea spreading herself in the best of the colors in front of me.   Yet the tension mounts, the scenes and pages fly past, the pace never subsides, and I didn’t see time go past.  I would stop only when J gives me a call to move. 

The characters come alive with the narration of Iles, and you relate to them quite personally. Abby the kidnapped child and Huey who is in charge of the child, develop a bond that warms the toughest heart.   Huey, who grew up as a special child with mental health issues, takes care of Abby ( or any other kidnapped child) and carves out wooden figurines for the children.  His love for Abby and how he understands the child is touching – a mountain of a man with a heart of gold. Huey does not have any hidden agenda and does not understand the unruly ways of the adults.  I loved that guy for his innocence.

The book
Finished this book in almost a week, and yes, it was worth the steal.

I'll probably be the only one on earth to put up a picture for a book review.  but I couldn't resist putting this up!

The reader




7 comments:

  1. Now, that picture is worth more than a thousand words. In such a setting, even the most prosaic of books turns into a masterpiece.

    Haven't read this book. Shall "steal" it from you and do justice. Alas, can't replicate the setting !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you are welcome anytime, and its right here in front of me. Haven't returned it to the owner. yet.

      Delete
  2. Semma.. Intha post epdi miss pannen!!?? My mokka postsa vida uvar reviw was crisp and enticing. Will try this book and post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. finally you read my post. was wondering how i will get you to read this post, since I have given credit scores for you, hey i truly meant it too Gilsu.

      Delete
    2. it will be great if you read this book and put down your review. will wait for it to come.

      Delete
  3. Ha ha.. i like the way you are reading the book...you know what nowadays I can only watch mystery series, mystery movies and books too.. I am becoming a mystery woman :)
    I will get hold of this book soon. Keep this coming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure you will like it. an easy read too.

      Delete

Would love to hear from you, my blog readers!!! Comments, muaah's, likes and opinions accepted. :-) :-)