Monday, March 09, 2020

In contemplation : Maldives


When the once in 25 years vacation is to an exotic dream destination, you are left with starry eyes and awesome memories of a lifetime.  And that’s exactly what happened to us in our trip to Maldives.  Gratitude for being able to make it overwhelms both of us. Yet, there are a few things I have mentally noted down, while contemplating,  so I will never have to say, “Sigh!  I wish I knew how to do that!”  or I should have planned that earlier. 

  1. Learn swimming :  Right from the time I had been married, this guy would show off his ability to swim.   Those days it used to be in the water bodies in Kerala, his hometown, which were abundant with them.   Lakes, ponds, rivers and canals, he would jump and swim in them and leave me all grinning and asking him for more.   Later in swimming pools his strokes in the water had me all mesmerized.  I knew he has done ocean swimming, but when I saw J swimming in the ocean, swiftly and even had the Maldives boat crew stunned, I told myself, take at least basic swimming lessons.
  2. Learn cycling :  I am ashamed to disclose this to you all, I cannot ride a bicycle. Yep.  True story.  Paradise had cycles in every corner and the guests were allowed to use it.  But what’s the use for someone who cannot ride?  And since I couldn’t J didn’t ride it either.   So that’s another one to add in the list
  3. Scuba diving :  for the fear of going down into the depths of an ocean, I kept putting this off during our trip.  Finally it was scheduled on the last but one day before our trip was to close.  Call it our misfortune, the boat that we were to leave developed snags and the authorities couldn’t get another diving boat for us as they insisted that we have a 24 hour break before we board our aircraft after we do the diving.  This was one of the major misses of this trip. I am going to regret this forever.  Next time Maldives, or some other place, we want to dive.
  4. Authentic, original Maldives :  We realized this after our trip.  What we saw as Maldives was the dressed up Maldives.  The resorts, Male and Hulhumale were all the artificial side of Maldives.  We really do not have an understanding of the Maldivians as we didn’t meet any of the authentic inhabitants of the island.   We should have gone to one of the islands where they live their ordinary and real lives and had a view of it to understand their lifestyle better.
  5. Buy an underwater Camera :  We are kicking our butts for not picking one before we even planned for this trip.  And now we just have our memories to resort to
  6. The last one is the usual one when I travel – Always wish I had stayed there a little more longer.  A week in Maldives is really long enough, but yet…

12 comments:

  1. Savitha2:37 PM

    Excellent memories from Maldives, Vincy! Loved every bit of your last post, the pics are mesmerizing!. Didn't comment on it, as whatever I write there wouldn't match the beauty of narration and the pics!

    But I had to comment on this, esp on your (1) and (2). I didn't know to cycle too, until two years ago - at 37! Given your marathon participations and your many many wonderful feats, I'm sure, given your will and focus, you'll fly with the breeze. One thing that I enjoy with cycling is my encounters with breeze, when I cycle fast- that's a wonderful, wonderful experience that you'd love too.

    Swimming is another skill that I acquired late (at 39!), but enjoy every bit too. I wish you the merry, the joy, the refreshment these skills bring to you - the gifts I received with these skills!

    And, Happy 25th, again. That was no mean feat!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your anniversary wishes. Yes. truly not an easy feat.

      This comment is so inspiring Savitha. Hoping that the universe will confer its positive energies so I can learn these skills like how you have mastered it.

      I remember how I went around talking about the joys of driving and the empowerment it gave me to many women who didnt know driving. and I read your comment and it felt as if some of what i did coming back to me to complete its course :-) Thanks a bunch Savitha.

      Post script : please go back to my earlier post and comment there. I value every reader and their comments even more.

      Delete
  2. Oh no, there are always something things we can't do, or can't do well and there is somebody who does this effortlessly and brilliantly. So what if you don't swim or cycle. You write brilliantly, you can touch a reader. You have a warm heart. That's way more important :)

    By the way, I don't think you can go and stay as a tourist in any of the inhabited islands bar Male. Their strategy has been to earmark uninhabited islands for tourism and not let their local culture be influenced by "decadent foreigners". I can understand that strategy. And so you have to enjoy paradise without any locals !!

    Lakshadweep in India is very similar to Maldives. And yet India has done absolutely nothing on tourism there and see where Maldives have reached. Lakshadweep is as much paradise on earth as the Maldives. And a lot cheaper. Go there next :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ramesh, It looks like you heard our conversations. When J was in Kochi, their organisation was planning to setup a base in Lakshadweep and he had done some research about the place. What you said is absolutely true about that place - not even basic facilities available for tourists, let alone for a telecom operator to set up base there. And also recently we watched a malayalam movie titled Moothon, the first part of which is set in Lakshadweep - Its as good as maldives, or so the cinematography showcases it that way. J and I were discussing about going there, the gal gang also plans a visit there, whcih ever happens first.

    and the first part of your comment, i badly needed to hear that. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The latest Samsung phone advt. Starring Parineeti Chopra is set at Minicoy. Beautiful the place is.

      Delete
  4. Yaaay, Ramesh, you can comment on my blog. Yaaay again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Until the waterproof camera or waterproof casing arrives we can use the waterproof mobile pouch, I have shared with you the link. Tested !! Can go underwater and take the footage on the mobile... Selfie with marine life 😃 . We can play around in the next trip.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How i wish i had got this reference before our Maldives trip!!! sigh!

      Delete
  6. I saw it during the holi party Vincy ..someone got it to protect their phone...😆.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Avvvvv.. I the no cyclist and bucketla drown aaiduven avlothaa swimming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. birds of the same feather flock together.

      BTW, please enroll into classes and learn these.

      Delete

Would love to hear from you, my blog readers!!! Comments, muaah's, likes and opinions accepted. :-) :-)