Monday, March 16, 2020

Gardening Chronicles

Now that I have made my plant mom confessions, it’s time to show you all my garden. 

Calling my space, a garden is definitely an exaggeration without an iota of doubt. The word garden conjures up images of endless green stretches, flower patches filling the air with their fragrances and riot of greenery and color. Mine is none of that, its just a collection of few pots from all over the place, with some plants that I have been nurturing. You can imagine the restraints of space a house in metro can throw up. Yet, this is a piece of earth, that I love going to when my soul needs calming down.

When we moved to the current house in the year 2006, it was my mom who had sent me a dozen colorful potted plants – a Santro full of foliage that we brought home. Some of the pots that I have are from that batch. I regularly paint them so they look good even today. 

An interesting tit-bit about the plant care – The residual water from the water purifier is collected and introduced into the fish tank that is part of the garden. Before doing this, the murky water from the open to air fish tank is used for watering the plants. Apparently, this dirty water is rich in beneficial bacteria, as well as potassium, phosphorus, nitrogen and trace nutrients that will promote lush, healthy plants. These are some of the same nutrients you'll find in many commercial fertilizers. One of the few things that can annoy J is wasting water. Irksome to do in the mornings, but our bit in saving the environment and water. 

NCBI, National Centre for Biotechnology Information, USA, had published papers on evidence that gardening provides substantial human health benefits especially in treating depression, anxiety, stress and other life style related issues. 

I will stop boring you with my nitty gritties and let me show you one of my therapies, which really worked well for me.

Lush green Syngoniums at the altar
Cacti in Cacti shaped pot
Flowering Adeniums at the terrace
Fish tank, the larger ones hiding 

The fish tank and the plants
This year's new year gift to my
friends at office, plant babies
Marble money plant, from Sudha
Look at the tortoise pot

Arent these fellas cute?
  
Tangled hearts from my sister
Snake plants, the variegated ones

Then there are these guys
mini snake plant 
  
Succulent tub

One final picture of my garden
patch of green from first floor balcony
looking lush green after a bath

6 comments:

  1. Very pretty. You are a professional "plant mom". That water recycling stuff, painting pots, and I am sure a hundred other activities is real serious work. And you give them a "bath" :) Wow !

    You really need to move to a large villa and give your talents a larger canvas to play with. Hint Hint J :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wouldn't hint that to J. He will be ever-ready to take me to his place in Kerala, where i can show my skills in a really large space. but, Chennai is too dear to leave.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautifully captured Vincy. The cuttings you shared are doing well at our place. Incidentally this morning was cleaning and bath time for the plants here . 😆

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. absolute pleasure taking care of the plants. I hope you are able to see my ginger lily in the last picture. That cutting is giving out new shoots again, after the rats chew up the earlier shoot.

      Delete
  4. !!! Idhulam unga veetla iruka ila neenga idhungaluku nadula irukeengala!! Garden ila idhu forest!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just a few pots, around 40 of them, that's all Gilsu.

      Delete

Would love to hear from you, my blog readers!!! Comments, muaah's, likes and opinions accepted. :-) :-)