Thursday, January 24, 2019

Arrival delayed exactly by an year


I landed up on this post while I was rummaging through my drafts and realized it is good to be posted, except that is exactly an year late.

Better late than never, don't they say?

Publishing this post, without any edits!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will start this new year with an interesting post.   Ahem. 

I know this is not new year, we are almost done with the month of January and I have stopped writing interesting posts.   Self check – so did you ever write an interesting post ? okay lets swipe these questions under the carpet.  Of late, the best I am getting at is swiping stuff under the carpet.

Yep.

Okay now back to my blog post topic.

I just completed 23 years in marriage last Marty’s day.  Don’t ask me the connection, but my parents were those humorous people who hid an uncanny riddle to all those who attended our wedding on 30th January 1995.   None got it though, then.  Who will be the martyr among-st us was the riddle.  Dawned on the bride and groom later and they are still deciding who it is.

So this anniversary I was in Kochi, where the hubby now works and spent a beautiful weekend with my paternal cousins celebrating a church feast which is an absolutely fantabulous event in the parts where my cousins live. Kalparamba in Thrissur to be specific. The entire family jing bang around, hubby dear was the chief guest of the day. The son-in laws always get special treatment. With atleast 50 of them from my dads family, food, drinks and fireworks ( the real ones at church) there was a frenzy  at my dad’s paternal home to which our own anniversary added a dash of spirits.

Dennu had come halfheartedly and was loitering around  without actually being recognized by some of the family members.   His hair and beard covered his face and he had grown beyond recognition to most of my ageing uncles, aunts and cousins.  Most people kept their doubts to themselves and kept smiling at him wondering who he was.

One of the aunts though, couldn’t hold her curiosity at the way he was talking to me, and blurted out – silencing even the sounds of fireworks going on in the church. 

Are you her brother or her husband? ( surely her eyesight was on the decline and it was late into the night.  So, blame it on the lack of illumination)

You should have seen Dennu’s face.  The cheeks that were visible, just a bit of them through those untamed beard,  went crimson red. For no reason he looked at me, opened his mouth in awe, and then collected himself and said, No I am her son.   2 minutes silence – that was for the martyrs day.  I could see Dennu was not amused.

Couple of more instances where we had to go silent, this time, they checked if he was my brother.    After that, anyone coming close to Dennu got an explanation of how he is related to J and me even before they asked.  Every one bemused how the naughty child has grown up to a nice young man and showered him with all their love.

After the feast Dennu left for Chennai, as he is preparing for his GRE exams and wanted J and me to have a day for ourselves on our anniversary.

I come back home this morning on 31st January, after a fun day of loafing and movie and lots of talking to J and Dennu opens the door.

My turn to get startled!

A clean shaven face.   Elated, shocked at his transformation, I ask Dennu Why Baby, why?  I had told you an umpteen number of times to look civilized and how come you have done this now?

Dennu gives me an intense look and a meaningful smile and says,  Maa, the brother bit was okay, but I couldn’t take the husband part.

ROFLing

I know it’s a bit too late to wish you guys a happy new year.

4 comments:

  1. Hee Ho Ho.

    But lady, the tribute was all for you. You are forever 21 !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you just now made me go red in the face. :-)

      I should learn the art of accepting compliments gracefully. :-) :-)

      Delete
  2. I triple repeat thala's comment who stole the words I was about to comment. And HiFi on thoosi thattifying old drafts. Same blud. And couldn't help but remember Monica being called Ross's mom on her wedding episode after reading this post. Hope u r a f. R. I. E.n.d.s fan?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know the characters and have seen them to understand who's who. not a great fan of F.R.I.E.N.D.S Just that this was a little different as the compliment was for me and a face palm moment for Dennu.
      Thank you for all your compliments

      Delete

Would love to hear from you, my blog readers!!! Comments, muaah's, likes and opinions accepted. :-) :-)