Thursday, July 02, 2020

The game called life

I was in standard IX, when I first met her as a bride to one of my most favorite uncle, mom’s younger brother. Uncle had moved in with my parents to Chennai from Kerala, after my parents got married, and he has been an integral part of my life all along. Even today. 

Cilvy was her name, petite, short, active and a pocket sized wonder. She only wore organdy and kotta sarees that was vogue and stylish, those days. I have seen her carrying herself in sarees with ease, they were well pleated, and also  remember until she had her own children, she would never pick up any child, after she draped herself in a saree for it would crumple them. She wore foundation, used cosmetics and a curled lock of hair hung on both sides of her face.  When a dads side cousin told me that your aunt puts on lot of makeup, the ninth grade me was secretly happy, as I had someone in my family who used make up. Yes. Seriously. 

They lived very close to my parents place, and especially after my two little cousins who were naughty brats came  along our bonds got stronger. My maternal uncle had a significant role in shaping my personality with his amazing positivity, his ability to talk about any topic under the sun, riveting story telling techniques and they have all influenced me quite a bit. My aunt was very supportive in all his endeavors. 

I am yet to see a woman like her who can spin like a top, don multiple hats and do hundred stuff at the same time. She could work her magic with her signature dishes and cook for the entire town, if need be. She was loud surprisingly for a small person and spoke dime a dozen. Always with a smile on her face, she was at the helm of everything that was happening at my uncles house and she was pretty stellar at what she was managing. With my uncle into a lot of social activities, after his work time, like being a president of an association at Chennai, active member at church and his community, Cilvy aunty could work her magic, held down the fort during my uncles absence from domestic activities.

While in first year of my graduation, I was to wear a saree for some occasion. Since I didn’t own any then, my parents were planning to buy me and I remember Uncle and Aunty coming home and surprising me with an Organza saree, just like the ones Cilvy aunty wears. It was a light shade of brown pastel colour with a maroon border. It must have been her choice definitely and I was on cloud nine with all those compliments that was coming my way, when I wore it the first time. She wished me many hundreds of sarees in my lifetime, when she gifted me my first and made me feel special. 

I now stare at the picture my cousin Joe, their son, sent me over Whatsapp. Its my aunts’ picture along with the announcement of her demise. We lost her to cancer. She is smiling subtly in the picture, so unlike her open laughter and grief engulfs all of us in the family. They had moved to Kerala to our tharavad in Chalakudi just before the lockdown commenced. None of us could pay our last rites to her or be with my Uncles’ family during this profound period of sorrow. 

The bright saree she is seen in the picture used for the announcement, is my gift to her sometime back. Neenu, Joe's wife tells me that she looked her best in it and that was one of her favorites. 

Life certainly plays deep games. Doesn’t it?

12 comments:

  1. Savitha11:41 PM

    I was reading with such curiosity- and the ending made me very sad. So very sorry for your loss, Vincy. God bless her soul.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, may her soul rest in Peace.

      Thank you for stopping by, Savitha. you have been missed in this space.

      Delete
  2. Condolences Vincy. The loss of somebody dear is always tough. In these Covid times it is brutal. The game can indeed have good and bad moments - right now it is magnifying the bad moments to be true tragedies.

    In our current obsession with Covid, we should also remember that nobody told cancer to obey the rules of lockdown. We must spare a thought for those who are battling the other C and wish them very well.

    May her soul rest in Peace. And a shoulder to you Vincy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a ton Ramesh. much needed thoughts at this time.

      This lockdown is not easy on people struggling with ailments both physical and mental, and on the elderly.

      She was young, just 62, and this was pretty sudden, hence a bit shocking.

      Delete
  3. Got to know her through you Vincy. May her soul rest in peace. Heart felt condolences to you and the loved ones.

    ReplyDelete
  4. heartfelt condolence Vincy. Life just keep throwing curve balls at us.. it is difficult to fathom what is next. I just hope it brings lots of strength to her and your family.. hugs...take care

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rekha. words of comfort from you have always been of help.
      Yes we all need to look out for each other.

      Delete
  5. so sorry to hear of your loss vincy. i came thinking you might have an end of the year post... i know we all want to forget this year of losses but do keep writing. even if i don't always comment this has become one of my blog stops. want to wish you and yours happy holidays and a very positive and wonderful 2021.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Girl! Where are you ?? I am missing you here, come back!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Leaving a note here to check if all is well . Such a long absence from this space is unlike you. Sending you best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Been a long long while since I came this side. Hearty condolences

    ReplyDelete

Would love to hear from you, my blog readers!!! Comments, muaah's, likes and opinions accepted. :-) :-)